Friday, February 22, 2019

Big Four views

Yesterday, based on some favorable trip reports that I had seen on the WTA website, I wandered up the closed portion of the Mountain Loop Highway from the gate at Deer Creek. I don't own snowshoes, but there was a well-packed path on the road that was walkable in ordinary hiking boots. I would have liked to explore the Big Four Ice Caves trail, but had to turn back early due to an uncomfortable, but thankfully minor, injury. This setback notwithstanding, I came away with a pair of nice compositions involving Big Four Mountain itself. First, from the snowbound Beaver Creek campground along the highway. F/18, with a polarizing filter to deepen the sky:


Second, from near the Big Four Picnic Area, with red alder trunks prominent in the foreground. F/18, polarizing filter used.


Ordinarily, I have trouble with sunny weather like this, due to the high-contrast lighting. I think the low angle of the winter sun, plus the snow-covered brightness of Big Four and the surrounding landforms, helped to mitigate this. I may return here later this winter, for a hopefully incident-free and more extensive photographic venture!

No comments: