Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Late Winter along the Green River

One of the many things I love about living in western Washington is that the entire year is colorful. In the winter, evergreen trees, moss, rivers, and other elements combine with a typical lack of snow to create some surprisingly colorful photography opportunities. I had such an opportunity on Saturday, when I visited Kanaskat-Palmer State Park (near Enumclaw) during a few hours' break between morning rain and afternoon hailstorms. The trails feature numerous scenic views of the Green River, including rapids and calmer stretches.

First, two slightly different views of the same tree, with the Green River in the background. I am unsure which composition I prefer: the first is, I think, more balanced, with a slightly more attractive angle on the foreground tree. The second has more clearly distinct background elements (the rock at center and bright trunk at left). Both F/14, 0.6 seconds.



Here's another interesting shot of the river. I like the look of the water and the rocks beyond; I'm less thrilled by the background trees at the top. In my mind's eye, the moss- and lichen-covered branches were more visually prominent and easier to track. F/14, 1.3 seconds.


Finally, a a view of a calmer spot along the river, where the absence of rapids makes the water's color more clearly apparent. F/16, 4 seconds.


No comments: