Thursday, July 01, 2021

Olympic Extravaganza Part 1: Coast

I just returned from a multi-night camping trip on the Olympic Peninsula! The goal was to beat the forecast heat by seeking either high elevation or proximity to the coast. While not entirely successful - the heat and sunshine were still considerable at times - I was able to avoid the worst of it (particularly considering the fact that that my plan for the week had originally been to visit some locations in southeast Washington!).

In this post, I'll cover my time near the coast, when I stayed at Kalaloch Campground and explored the nearby trails and beaches. At Ruby Beach, the most spectacular of the beaches I visited due to its huge sea stacks, I was unable to get any pictures I liked, due to unflattering lighting and crowded conditions. I had better luck earlier in the morning at Beach 4, which has plenty of interesting features in its own right, including tidepools and rock formations. Below, some rocks showing what I believe to be evidence of honeycomb weathering. F/18.

Next, more cool rock formations just above the beach. I'm assuming that this is something sedimentary in origin, but I'm not a geologist by any means. F/16.


While staying at the Kalaloch Campground, I also checked out the short Kalaloch Nature Trail, a short loop through lush forest. Below, a view of a Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis), with large burls visible. Apparently, these growths are a result of disease, infestation, or environmental stress (in the case of coastal forests like this one, salt spray from the ocean). F/16.

Next, closeups of some of the flowers along the trail. Below is salal (Gaultheria shallon), F/9.

And here is Cooley's hedge-nettle (Stachys cooleyae), F/6.3.

Coming up next, part two of my Olympic Peninsula travels, this time from the high elevations of the Deer Park area! Stay tuned.

No comments: