Sunday, June 23, 2024

First Hike of Summer 2024

Yesterday, I hiked to Barclay Lake (near Index) for my first hike of the summer. As a photography outing, the day was a mixed bag. On the plus side, I enjoyed some periods of light winds, and I had good visibility of the surrounding peaks (particularly Baring Mountain, which is the star of the show on this hike). Making things more difficult was intermittent broken cloudiness. These bright clouds made overexposure of the sky (or underexposure of the foreground) more of a problem, so I didn't get the big view shots over the lake that I wanted.

First, an image of Baring Mountain that did turn out more or less the way I wanted, with an alder tree in the foreground. F/18.

Next, a view of Barclay Lake near the end of the trail. This isn't the most iconic view of the lake, but I like how all of the elements come together: the remnants of snow, the bright green new leaves, the lake's surface, and the broken clouds. I had to wait a few minutes for the sun and clouds to align just right for this picture; when the clouds went back to covering up the sun, the trees were too dark and the detail quality was poor. F/14.

Lastly, here's a view of Barclay Lake from a cloudier moment in time. I was drawn to the contrasting greens at this vantage point, particularly the bright-green new growth in the foreground. I think the different shades of green here don't all stand out against each other as much as I'd like, but the sense of season comes through quite well. F/14.


No comments: