Sunday, August 05, 2012

Give Peas a Chance

The weedy pea flowers (not sure what species) are in full bloom at Discovery Park. I arrived in time for sunrise this morning. This photo was my best. I'd rather have the sun off-center, but I tried cropping the picture in a few different ways and keeping it the sun in the middle resulted in the most pleasing composition along with the other elements (the positions of the trees and flowers especially).


The next shot looks a bit fisheye-ish, an effect that was actually not intentional. I think it was a combination of some distortion on the part of my lens and the graceful slopes that the flowers were actually on. You can actually fix that, at least a bit, in Lightroom. At any rate, the colors and lighitng turned out fairly well, although I'd want to boost the sky colors a tad.


The next picture came shortly after the aforeposted sunrise shot. The soft sunrise lighting came through well.


I also found some thistles blooming (not sure what kind yet). By this point in the morning, the sunlight was getting a bit bright and harsh for my tastes, but I still found interesting interplays of sunshine and shadow:


And finally, some shots of the same type of plant gone to seed (a different stand). The first one was a bit of a Hail Mary in that I wasn't actually looking through the camera when I took the picture. I zoomed the lens all the way out, pointed the camera where I thought it would need to go, and took the picture. It turned out better than it could have, although it's certainly not perfect. A wider depth of field would have been nice...but that would have required a longer shutter speed, and thus a tripod; my small tripod was not practical in the thick grass.



No comments: