Sunday, November 11, 2012

Discovery Sunshine

Discovery Park was quite the place to be yesterday afternoon. I don't think I have ever seen the parking lot as full as it was. Not that it was a problem - it was good to see lots of people enjoying the outdoors, and the large park absorbed the throngs without seeming crowded. It was just funny that it should be less crowded on so many warm, clear summer evenings, and overrun with visitors on one of the coldest days of the autumn so far.

Believe it or not, there are still a few flowers blooming. They are certainly in the minority at this point, but I saw a few yarrow, a Queen Anne's lace (or some other carrot-type flower; I actually didn't stop to look very closely) and even some California poppies on the drive. Their tardiness would have been forgivable back in October when we were having our freak warm/dry spell. Now, however, they're definitely living on borrowed time. Those little rebels!

This was my attempt to render that concept onto an image; it juxtaposes living and withered yarrow flowers. The soft evening sunlight, partially diffused by some grass out of frame helps. I was able to position myself such that I got the blooming flower in focus and the dead flowers just out of focus, which I think makes the image more effective.


I then perambulated down to the beach for the sunset. My result was this picture, which silhouettes grass and dried-up hardhack stalks against the sunset. I used f/25 to get everything in good focus. I like it, and think it doesn't look too cluttered; the beach, however, creates a diagonal black area at the bottom which isn't terribly appealing compositionally. Still, it's alright, and I like the color scheme - the strong blues reinforce the clear, cold nature of the evening.


Also, I have an announcement! I have just opened up a website! To the readers of this blog, fear not: I will continue to write this blog as always. The new website is more of an online gallery where I can post some of my best work - sort of a web-based portfolio; at least, that is how I am conceiving it. Eventually, I hope to have a separate website where I have prints and other things available for purchase.

If you're reading this blog, you've probably seen these images before. Ultimately, though, this website will also be a place to keep track of any contests or events I'm participating in; plus, I just think it's cool. Here it is! http://www.zhibit.org/jdanderson

No comments: