Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Good Old-Fashioned, Honest-To-Goodness Sunrise Trip

Recently I went on a sunrise trip to Magnuson Park, and while I didn't necessarily walk away with any fabulous images, I found some interesting ideas to work with.

When I shot the sunrise itself, I tried two angles. I'm actually going to go out of order, and present the best first, as is my custom. What this one really needs is some contrast work to cut some of the golden glare - not completely, but enough to enhance the green and purple colors in the foreground. The top of the frame is a bit overexposed as well. This was somewhat intentional, as I wanted to sacrifice some detail in the highlights in order to bring out the flowers. I'll have to play with the contrast in post-processing and, ultimately, make the judgment from a print rather than from a computer display.

Also, there were a couple of lens flares in the image. I used Picasa's retouching feature to edit them out. It is rather clumsy compared to Lightroom's options, so if you look closely you might find the edits.


The second one, which I had taken perhaps a minute earlier, is a mixed bag. I like the lighting a lot better - the lower sun created less glare, and facilitated a relatively more even exposure of the foreground and the sunrise.  I don't like the composition, though - the in-focus flowers are too close to dead center. This wouldn't be a problem if the composition were more symmetrical, but it's not. There's too much dead space on the right.


Next is one of my better vetch images to date; it is hard to photograph these flowers in a way that isn't busy. The immediately-after-sunrise lighting adds a rich color to the flower. I shot this at f/14; in retrospect, it might have helped the image to go a little wider than that and blur the background just a bit more.


Finally, an experimental grass shot. I like the idea, but wish I had shown the two grass heads in the lower foreground more prominently. The contrast is also a bit high; the foreground detail doesn't show well. Still, I like this perspective, and will have to play with this idea in the future.


No comments: