Tuesday, January 07, 2014

I Tolt You So

A funny thing happened the other morning. I was all set for a forest hike in the foothills and, upon checking the weather one last time, decided that conditions were going to be too sunny for that. So I thought I would try my hand at a sunrise from the hills behind Tolt-MacDonald Park on the Snoqualmie River.

Well, I found no sunrise. As I ascended the hill, I could see that the view eastward over the valley, just above a layer of fog, would have been gorgeous. But I could not find a viewpoint in time. I know there is one up there somewhere - I've seen pictures - and I could have kept searching on the trails and gravel roads on the hill, but time was running out and, without a map, I was starting to wander in circles.

My Plan B was to see if I could do anything with the shafts of sunlight that would be coming through the trees at the elevation where fog's edge stood. I managed to make it to that point in time for the cool lighting; this time, the problem was subject matter. The forest at that level was not very scenic or inspiring; it was the less attractive kind of second growth where there are a lot of coniferous trees the same age and there is not much of an understory. I only got one decent picture, and I still didn't really like it, so I'm not going to post it.

More interesting, in my opinion, were a couple images I took in the park's lower elevations along the river. The forest here was also second-growth but much wetter (due to its position on moist flats near the river) and thus dominated by more interesting maple, alder, cottonwood, and cedar trees, complete with lots of moss.

Both of these images were taken with a narrow aperture to achieve a wide depth of field. In the first, I like the color contrast between the green foreground and the yellows and reds in the background. This one needs a bit of contrast and lighting work to bring out the green moss in the foreground, but it could be done.


For the second, the fog was beginning to break up and thus had a very warm quality to it. I wanted to make an image that captured the mossy trunks at varying distances.


No comments: