Saturday, June 07, 2014

Old Business

These are some images from a trip to Magnuson Park a while back that I forgot to finish writing about. Here we are!

The first one features vetch flowers with the sunrise - filtered through some branches and such - in the background. It's a bit dark, but didn't lose very much at all to total black, so the underexposed areas are definitely salvageable. I stopped down to privilege rich color in the sun itself. I used f/4.2 to achieve selective focus.


Below is a plant that I see all the time but have never bothered to photograph or identify - cleavers (Galium aparine). I suspect it might be an introduced species but it's still cool-looking, particularly when its little white flowers are blooming. I used f/5.6 because wider apertures didn't give me a large enough area of the foreground in focus. I was extremely close to this subject, which always decreases depth of field.


Next is a closeup of some grass - orchard grass, I think - that I liked. The head was hanging down, which enabled me to get this perspective of it. I used f/5.6 - the far background is still blurred nicely, but I got a good amount of detail in the foremost stamens.


Next is another shot of vetch, this time a little bit after sunrise and backlit. I used f/4.2 for selective focus.


Below are some wild roses growing in Magnuson; f/4.5.


Next, a shot of some clover, red clover if I'm not mistaken. My camera was nearly on the ground for this perspective; I think that even my little tripod was too high. I used f/4.5 for selective focus. I think that, compositionally, the grass blade on the left provides a contrasting shape and helps accentuating a feeling of depth and closeness.


No comments: