Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Few Recent Adventures

Sadly, for a variety of reasons related to graduate education, the pace of my photography has been positively glacial lately, and for that I apologize. Also, getting used to a new landscape and being busy, I think the quality of my work has fallen a bit in the direction of mediocrity. But anyway, here goes.

The first one shows the sun peeking through a forest of quaking aspen, taken during a visit I made to the James T. Slavin Conservation Area near Spokane. The technique I used should be familiar to frequent visitors of this blog - narrow aperture (f/22), focal length on the wider side, having the sun peek out from behind branches. This reduces the sun to a point source of light and makes for those nice rays.



While wandering around the fields later that evening looking for a good sunset vantage (which I ultimately didn't find in time - to make a long story short, too many obstructions to the west), I noticed that the almost-full moon was starting to rise above the trees.

In hindsight, I wish I had tried a composition with a closer, more clearly defined foreground. The reason I didn't at the time was because I wanted to zoom up enough to make the moon prominent. That said, I like the warm color of the sunlight. F/20 to get everything in focus.


Now, a few photos from some parks around Pullman. The first is from Conservation Park, just before sunset. The weedy plant in the foreground is teasel. I used f/22 to get both the dried heads and the rolling hills in focus.


Finally, a few closeups of rose hips from Sunnyside Park. Apertures of f/4.2 and f/5, respectively.







No comments: