Monday, June 15, 2015

Discovery Park Trip

The fireweed are blooming at Discovery Park! First, a closeup. I've done a similar composition before (see the first photo in this post from last year). Today's, however, has the advantage of the sunrise light and thus more interesting coloration. F/6.3 to keep recognizable form in the rest of the flower.


Next, another relatively close shot of fireweed flowers that turned out well. F/4.


Next is a closeup of ocean spray flowers. The contrast between the shaded background and the bright flowers was enough to make the background look black, which I think is a somewhat cool effect here.  Thankfully, the sunlight was filtered by some high clouds, helping prevent overexposure. F/4.5.


A slightly less close shot of some ocean spray. F/5.


Below is a wider shot of the fireweed right at sunrise. I've done compositions from this spot quite similar in concept to this one, but I think this particular one uses the space better, not requiring any drastic cropping like this one did. I was closer to the closest stalk in this case, and thus was able to convey a better sense of depth.


For the last two, I did a little experiment in perspective. I did some wider shots looking up at fireweed stalks, which is not something I can remember doing before. I think the first is the stronger of the two, due to the cloud positioning, but I like both of these compositions. F/22 and F/25 for maximum depth of field.



No comments: