Friday, May 27, 2016

Deception Pass trip

Yesterday morning, I visited one of my favorite haunts, Deception Pass State Park. One of the cool things about the park is that there are some bits and pieces of old-growth forest. It looks like, on at least one occasion, there was a fire in the Lighthouse Point area, as some of the older trees show evidence of a burn. I wanted an image that showed this, and below is my best result. In the far background, a bit of the younger greenery is visible. I used f/22 for a wide depth of field.


Next is broad-leaved stonecrop (Sedum spathulifolium). I photographed these last year at Deception Pass, also at eye level, under different lighting conditions. I think I did better this time, though - I like how the leaves are more apparent in the foreground. F/3.5.


And here's a flower I haven't photographed before - I think it's broad-leaved starflower, or Trientalis latifolia. They're an interesting-looking plant, because the flowers themselves are on very thin stems; beneath that, though, are whorls of comparatively large leaves. F/7.1.


Next is twinflower, or Linnaea borealis. They are pretty tiny and, unless there is a large clump of them, relatively easy to miss. They also grow at a height that is hard to photograph with either of my tripods, so this one was handheld. F/4.8.


Lastly, an image whose quality didn't turn out very well. Even so, I still think it's an interesting composition, and the RAW file might be worth at least a halfhearted effort at salvaging via Lightroom. I used f/32 and an ISO of 500. This combination of settings led to high noise and soft detail, but I was stuck with the high ISO because I needed as quick of a shutter speed as possible to counteract the breeze.


No comments: