Sunday, August 05, 2018

Naches Peak Loop

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit the Naches Peak Loop trail, which is partly in Mount Rainier National Park and partly in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. I faced two major challenges: midday sunshine and the most crowded hiking trail on which I've ever attempted to do nature photography. Nevertheless, I managed a few compositions that I was pleased with.

First, a view of Mount Rainier from the national park portion of the trail. The wildflower in the foreground is false hellebore (Veratrum viride). F/22.


Another view from the national park portion, with western pasqueflower (Anemone occidentalis) seed heads in the foreground. F/22.


A wildflower bouquet from the national forest portion of the trail, with paintbrush (Castilleja) in the foreground. F/8.


Here's something a bit different, a big-sky view; I believe the lake at lower left is Dewey Lake. I used a graduated neutral density filter to expose correctly for both the dark foreground and the bright clouds. F/18.


Finally, a closeup of the seed head of a western pasqueflower (Anemone occidentalis). F/11.


1 comment:

Colleen H said...

I've never seen a pasqueflower before. I feel like I'm related to them.