Monday, February 04, 2019

Hike to Otter Falls

On Saturday, I made the roughly 11 mile hike to Otter Falls and back, through second-growth forest up the Taylor River valley. It was a sunnier day than expected, making photography difficult but the walking very pleasant. Second-growth forest isn't always my first choice to visit or photograph, but there are a number of very picturesque stands of red alder along the trail, particularly near the Taylor River and smaller waterways. Otter Falls is also a very unique and impressive natural feature, and seeing it was well worth the journey.

First, Marten Creek from the bridge crossing it, a few miles into the trail. I liked the soft lighting created by the fog-filtered sunshine. This composition doesn't follow the rule of thirds very well; with the creek where it is, the image roughly divides in half. I improved upon this with further attempts, but the lighting became less interesting as I worked. Ultimately, I've decided to prioritize the lighting and post this version. F/18, 0.4 seconds.


Next, the Taylor River not far from the trailhead, framed by red alder trunks and branches. F/20, 1 second.


Lastly, Otter Falls, my lunch and turnaround location. I have mixed feelings about this composition - there's not much of a foreground, so I worry there isn't sufficient depth. The lighting was also troublesome, as sunlight frequently emerged from the broken clouds, directly illuminating the falls and causing overexposure. Still, this was the foremost natural attraction of the hike and the reason for my visit, so I'll post my best result. F/18, 1/3 second.


No comments: