Monday, March 11, 2019

Sharpe Park

On Saturday, I visited Sharpe Park on Fidalgo Island (near Deception Pass State Park), which features short trails to expansive views of the surrounding waterways and islands. Sunny days before wildflower season, with lots of snow in the mountains, can be challenging to plan for (I don't yet have snowshoes). Furthermore, I had just finished one of the busier work weeks of the year, and was in no condition to get anywhere for dawn light. Sharpe Park promised snow-free walking and attractive views attainable during the morning. Below is my best result, looking more or less northwest from the Sares Head overlook. F/18, with a polarizing filter to help deepen the sky and water.


Other than this composition, I tried a selective-focus shot with a small pine (probably shore pine, Pinus contorta) in the foreground; other trees, a rocky meadow, and distant water and sky were in the background. Somehow, I had trouble with image quality - the needles looked pixelated, which surprises me. Moreover, with selective focus, the composition didn't convey the sense of space and openness that would have been appropriate for that vantage point. It was worth a try, though - I'd like to experiment more with selective focus at open locations like that.

Upon reflection, I might have to make a return visit to Sharpe Park in April or May - as trip reports and pictures I've seen would have me believe, the rocky meadows will sport wildflowers later in the spring. Don't threaten me with a good time!

No comments: