Friday, May 24, 2019

Spring Break Part 3: Coyote and Catherine

Next on the Columbia Gorge itinerary were the Coyote Wall (Moab-Maui loop) and Catherine Creek areas, which are on the Washington side, a few miles east of White Salmon. It's an incredibly scenic region. The Moab-Maui loop travels along Coyote Wall, very near the cliffs of the Wall itself, and through wide meadows looking toward the Columbia River and Mount Hood. The Catherine Creek area sports similar expansive meadows, but also features the lusher, woodsier environment around the creek. I spent one morning on the Moab-Maui loop and one at Catherine Creek, but could have spent much longer admiring the wildflowers and exploring the trails system.

Coyote Wall

I came away from the Moab-Maui loop with three good landscapes. The first looks over Coyote Wall itself, and the others over the surrounding landscape, with the Columbia River in the background of the third. As you can see, desert parsley (genus Lomatium) was the main attraction of the day, florally speaking. The variety featured in these images may be Lomatium grayi, or Gray's desert parsley, though I am not completely sure. All three F/18.

 




Catherine Creek

I'm pretty sure the flower in this first closeup is a variety of fiddleneck (genus Amsinckia). Due to the small size of this plant and other characteristics, I would guess it to be Amsinckia menziesii, although I am not completely sure. F/5.



Next, chocolate lily or checker lily (Fritillaria affinis). This was the first time I've ever been able to photograph this interesting flower! I found it growing in open woods immediately next to the trail. F/5.




Finally, here's a landscape from the area, looking over camas (Camassia quamash) flowers into the lush ravine of Catherine Creek itself. Despite the harsh backlighting, I think this one works. F/18.


Strong breezes kicked up during the morning hours, limiting my photography time. Even the images above were difficult to pull off; by lunchtime, with the breezes and high sunshine, my photography time was over.

Stay tuned for Part Four, which will feature Oregon's impressive Latourell Falls!

No comments: