Saturday, October 03, 2020

Tolmie Lookout

Last weekend, I hiked to the Tolmie Peak fire lookout in Mount Rainier National Park. The closure of Highway 410 near Greenwater made the Mowich Lake trailhead one of the more accessible areas of the park coming from the north or west. Others must have come to the same realization, because this was one of the more crowded hikes I've been on in a long time. Because I almost always use a tripod, crowded trails make photography difficult, even more so this year, when physical distancing is a must. There were still a few quiet moments, though, and enough room at the lookout to spread out comfortably.

First, my favorite two images from the hike, featuring Mowich Lake early in the morning. Although I like the hint of sunlight in the second, the mist and fall colors show up better in the first. Both F/14.

 

Next, Mount Rainier from the vicinity of the lookout, partially covered by a lenticular cloud. I'm not thrilled by the lighting and contrast, but there was no way for me to avoid being there at midday. I was worried about overexposure, but I actually overcompensated and underexposed this one; next time I'm in a similar situation, I'll try a wider range of exposures. F/16.

Next, two images showing Mount St. Helens far in the distance. It shows up more clearly in the first, making it my favorite of the two. F/16.

Finally, another view from near the lookout. If you can tear your eyes away from Mount Rainier long enough, there is plenty of grand scenery like this. F/16.



No comments: