Saturday, November 14, 2020

Perry Creek in the Snow

Never one to leave well enough alone, I recently visited the Perry Creek trail for the fourth time this year. My timing was great - there was enough fresh snow to make the scenery interesting, but not enough yet to render the parking lot (or that section of the Mountain Loop Highway) inaccessible. The temperature was just above freezing, rendering the snow a bit chunky and cumbersome. A below-freezing temperature would have made the snow more fun to walk in, but I was thankful that at least it hadn't melted from the trees before my hike.

First, a view down the valley with a few tenacious autumn leaves in the foreground. I don't like how centered the leaves are, but tripod placement was tricky on this narrow section of trail. This is my best result; I was able to observe the rule of thirds more faithfully in other attempts from this location, but I didn't get the focus right. F/16.

Next, a composition that looks more wintry. I think the detail on the foreground rocks, and distant mountain slopes, makes up for the relative lack of color. F/16.

Speaking of color, in the next image, I like how the mossy maple trunk in the foreground contrasts with the whites and more muted greens of the background. F/16.

Next, an image that looks almost monochromatic. I was attracted to the way the snowy branches framed the view of the valley. F/14.

Finally, a view up the steep valley slope. F/14.


For some reason, I've been craving a hike closer to a river or other large body of water. Hopefully my next hike will provide such an experience, although changing conditions always create new challenges and opportunities. Stay tuned!

No comments: