Monday, April 19, 2021

Spring Break 2021: O'Grady

My spring break has drawn to a close (my work follows the school calendar), and it was an excellent one! The big event was a multi-night trip to the Columbia Gorge and Lewis River areas, and after being confined to quarters for so much of last spring, I appreciated getting out and about during my favorite season - and in full sunshine, no less! I can't remember a long trip in any season where the weather was fantastic every single day.

But first things first. Before I left for my big trip, I visited the Green River Natural Area (aka O'Grady Park or the O'Grady Trail) near Enumclaw. I enjoyed seeing wildflowers starting to appear in the woods, including these two colors of Pacific bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa). Pink bleeding heart are very common in western Washington, but I had never seen a white one before. Both F/5.

Next, a pretty stream crossing along Potter's Trail. F/16, 0.8 seconds.

Below, raindrops on a mystery flower. They remind me of the flower I guessed was Nuttall's toothwort earlier this spring at Rockport State Park. Irrespective of the species, I like the picture. F/5.6.

Finally, a willow (genus Salix) opening up along the banks of the Green River; I'm not good at distinguishing the willow species from one another. F/6.3.

Coming up next, the first part of my trip, which was to the Columbia Gorge area for the wildflowers! Stay tuned.

No comments: