Monday, June 21, 2021

Bright Day at Emmons Moraine

On Saturday, I hiked the Emmons Moraine trail, a favorite of mine on a clear day due to the great views of Mount Rainier, Little Tahoma, and the headwaters of the White River. I had been there twice before, in June 2019 and again in September 2020. Just like those earlier visits, I had to contend with harsh lighting. Nevertheless, it was a fun challenge to try to find new perspectives on the place.

First, my favorite shot of the day: Mount Rainier over the White River, near the campground. Due to the brightness of the scene, I surmised that my usual strategy of trying to blur the water's motion with a slow shutter speed would be unsuccessful. Instead, I aimed for as fast of a shutter speed as I could manage with decent depth of field. F/14, 1/160 of a second.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd been to Emmons Moraine twice before, both times under sunny skies, and I didn't want my pictures to look identical to those from the earlier visits. So I did a little experimenting with narrow-depth-of-field shots. Here's one with a pine tree in the foreground, and Little Tahoma in the background. F/6.3.

Next, another image with a similar narrow-depth-of-field concept, looking down the White River valley. F/5.6.

Below, two more "conventional" shots of the Emmons Moraine area, with a wide depth of field. Compositionally, I think they're my best yet, although the harsh lighting is even more of a problem and might merit some additional fine-tuning. Both F/18.


Finally, a view across the White River valley from the trail. I wish the foreground leaves and background trees were more distinct from each other in the lower third of this image, but I still like the composition. F/14.

No comments: