Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Back to Normal?

I'm sure all of my western Washington readers share my relief at the passing of the smoke and the belated arrival of the autumn rains. It has been nice to be able to go on walks again, open the windows, and just generally enjoy being outside. On Saturday, I had the morning free, so I hiked the short Old Robe Canyon trail near Granite Falls.

First, a nice mossy forest shot. Autumn colors in the western Washington lowlands can be a bit hit-or-miss, especially under tree cover, where leaves can turn to pale yellow or mottled brown. But the colors along the trail were surprisingly nice. F/18.

Next, two shots of the South Fork Stillaguamish River, from the same vantage point. Water levels were still quite low, something that will probably change a lot in the next few weeks. I think I prefer the first, because it has a better sense of depth, and features fall colors more prominently. In the second, since I used a wider angle and tilted the lens downward a bit, the lines aren't as straight. I do like the additional water motion that is visible in the second shot, however. Both F/16, 0.6 and 0.5 seconds.


Finally, a view up the river near the end of the maintained trail. There was a slight breeze, so I had trouble timing the shot so that all of the leaves were still and sharp at the same time. This final result is pretty good, although some of the orange leaves aren't quite as sharp as I'd like. Still, I like the composition, and the vivid colors. F/16.

That's all for now! There's a lot of rain in the forecast, but hopefully I'll get some more chances to get out and enjoy fall colors before winter scenery sets in. I will confess that I feel a bit robbed of fall; I usually am able enjoy sunny skies and vivid red fall colors in the high country in late September and early October (such as these trips last year). It might have been possible this year - the smoke wasn't always bad everywhere - but I didn't want to risk it, and there is a limit to how far I'm willing to drive for a day hike. Anyway, I'm just glad that conditions have improved, and I'll take what I can get for the remainder of the fall season.

1 comment:

Colleen H said...

I really like the pictures of the colored leaves on the shallow rocky creekbed. Beautiful.