Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Spring begins!

On Saturday, inspired by the gorgeous weather, I went to Sharpe Park up by Anacortes and Deception Pass. Sharpe Park is smaller and more rugged than the better-known Deception Pass State Park - the trails down to the water in particular are a bit tricky - so it tends to have fewer visitors. But the views from the park are great, even the trails down to the water at Porpoise Point are well worthwhile if you're up for a challenge. By the calendar, it was still winter, but since the weather was warm and I found a few wildflowers, I'm considering it the first trip of the spring season!

First, Indian plum, or osoberry (Oemleria cerasiformis). F/5.

Next, looking north-ish from Sares Head. I like the lighting in this one, particularly the illumination of the tufts of grass. I think it adds to the sense of depth. F/16.

Below, a closeup of some cool moss and lichen growing together. I'm not very good at identifying mosses and lichens, so I'm not going to try right now, but they were still very fun to see! F.6.3.

Next, a view from Sares Head out to the Olympics. F/16.


Finally, looking down from Sares Head toward Rosario Head, Northwest Island, and Deception Island (from left to right), with Whidbey Island in the farthest distance. F/16.

I'm glad that I chose a destination like Sharpe Park on Saturday - the good visibility under clear skies was very rewarding. We were also able to see some wildlife, including distant seals and chattering eagles. I'm guessing my next hike will be of a more nearby, forested variety, involving some different wildflowers or signs of spring. See you soon!

No comments: