Friday, June 05, 2020

Sunshine at Goat Lake

The hike to Goat Lake is one of my favorites of all time; the trail passes through old-growth forest, has multiple opportunities to view the impressive Elliott Creek, and ends at a lake with a stunning view. The length of the hike, however, means that I often find myself at the lake at midday, under full sun. My hike here on Wednesday was no exception, and I had to get a bit creative to work with the high-contrast lighting.

First, my favorite landscape image from the lake. Most photographs of the lake (mine included) involve the snowy slopes beneath Cadet Peak on the far side of the lake. The sunlight on said slopes, however, threatened overexposure. I ventured a bit beyond the day-use area and tried this view, looking more southwest. Despite the harsh midday sunshine, it turned out pretty well, and the color of the lake water comes through clearly. F/16.


Next, a salmonberry flower (Rubus spectabilis) with the classic view of the lake in the background. I think the selective focus approach worked well here; since it wasn't necessary to preserve as much detail in the background slopes, the high-contrast lighting wasn't as much of an issue. F/6.3.


Here's an image that is very similar in concept, only with the leaves of another plant (I'm not sure what species) in the foreground. F/6.3.


Next, a view of the lake with willows in the foreground. It doesn't quite fit the rule of thirds, but I like the diagonal linear element that the willows create. F/14.


Finally, Elliott Creek near the start of the lower trail. The sunlight in the upper portion of the composition isn't ideal, but it isn't too bad, and I like the look of the water. F/16, 0.8 seconds.


No comments: