Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yarrow There!

To me, one of the most curious features of Discovery Park is the yarrow. For whatever reason - perhaps the population is isolated enough, or perhaps some artificially bred plants were accidentally or purposefully planted - the North Beach Trail area of Discovery Park supports some pink and purple yarrow of a deep hue that I've never seen anywhere else (except in gardens). I've seen yarrow look pinkish-white, but only in Discovery have I found yarrow looking like this.




See what I mean? It's almost always white, occasionally pinkish-white.

Also, fireweed season is dwindling (at least in the lowlands) but not quite over yet! I just stumbled on the first picture, and was quite pleased to have happened on that moody backlighting just by chance:



Finally, this shot of Mount Rainier framed by some yellow flowers (Puget Sound gumweed?). I've always had trouble with shots of mountains and other very distant objects. Maybe my automatic focus, for whatever reason, just isn't up to it. This time, I switched to manual and tweaked my autofocus, setting it all the way to infinity (the autofocus had locked in just short of infinity). The result, while still not as sharp as I'd like, was much better. I'll have to try this approach in the future.


No comments: