Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Summer's Last Gasp

Well, it looks like our brief interval of summer weather is over. It went out with a bang, though, didn't it? Heat, hazy sunsets, the works!

I wanted to catch what will probably end up being the year's last hazy red sunset at Discovery Park. My pictures didn't turn out as well as I had intended. Part of the problem was that my cable release - which enables me to take a picture without touching my camera - has been falling apart for a while, and finally decided to stop working very well. (You might ask why I don't just use my hands and use the self-timer feature. This is inadequate for two situations. The first is that for exposures between about 1/15 of a second and 1 second, or so I'm told by books, you get sharper pictures by using the "mirror up" mode, locking the mirror up, waiting a few seconds, and then taking the picture. The second is that, especially when shooting plants and leaves, by the time 5 or even 2 seconds have passed the subject may have been blown out of focus by even the slightest of breeze. Focusing, releasing my hand and immediately taking the picture with the remote is more reliable if the tripod is tight.)

Still, these shots ended up interesting. The first wasn't as sharp as I'd wanted, because I had to press the actual shutter button; at a 1/20th of a second exposure, this created a slight blur. But it's still cool enough to post.




Many people I know are of the fall persuasion; autumn is their favorite season. I, on the other hand, will always be a summer person. Summer is the season of ostentatious wildflowers, lush forest foliage, warm sunshine, grass brushing against my legs, red sunsets, seed heads waving in the wind, soft mornings and evenings, the smells of grass and fir needles baking in the sun, the sounds happy bird songs and the sweet singing of insects at twilight. I appreciate autumn's beauty, but part of me dies every autumn, and doesn't come back to life until warm summer weather returns. So...until next year!

No comments: