Monday, March 20, 2017

Guillemot Cove

On Saturday, I had the good fortune to be on the Kitsap Peninsula. A park that had struck my eye when looking at hiking guides was the Guillemot Cove Nature Reserve, on Hood Canal and around Boyce Creek. It has lush forests, some wetlands and meadows, and a beach with a view of the Olympics. I'm hoping to go back, perhaps later in the spring when there is more foliage and hopefully less mud.

Below is a view of the mossy forest along the Sawmill Trail. Also featured here is the evergreen shrubbery, of which there is a lot in the Reserve. F/22.


Next, two images from the marshes and wetlands near the beach. Boyce Creek was running high, as you can imagine given our recent weather. I wanted an image showing this, as well as the greening up of some of the grass. Compositionally speaking, I think I like the vertical one better, but I thought I would post both. I used and exposure time of half a second to blur the water's motion.



Although most of the Reserve consists of second-growth forest, there are a few older cedar and maple trees here and there. Here is a view of one such spot. It needs some lighting work, but it's actually not bad for a sunny-day image. F/22.


Lastly, another forest composition. I'm not sure how I feel about it, as it's somewhat cluttered. But I like how the lighting illuminates the mossy branches/trunks and the new leaves. F/22.


No comments: