Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A Splendid Larch March

On Saturday, I rose early for a long drive to the Teanaway area. My destination was the Ingalls Way trail, where I hoped to find some larch (larches? Not sure about the grammar) to photograph. It was a longer drive and harder climb than I usually attempt for a day hike, resulting in a relatively short amount of time actually shooting, but it ended up a worthwhile investment. My timing was perfect - when I arrived at the pass en route to Ingalls Lake (where the larch appear), there was an interesting interaction of sunshine and clouds, and snow lingered on tree branches. By the time I had done photography for about an hour and stopped for a late lunch, most of the snow had melted from the trees and the skies had cleared, resulting in harsher and less interesting lighting.

This first composition is my favorite, due to the contrast of clouds and sunlight. F/22.


Next, two compositions with Mount Stuart in the background. The summit was clouded, to the dismay of some fellow hikers. Indeed, it would have been nice to see the full mountain. On the other hand, the clouds added some mood and mystery to the scene. Both F/20.



Lastly, a view roughly east from just beyond the pass. F/18.


No comments: