Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Valhalla in the Snow

Well, fall was fun while it lasted! On Saturday, I hiked to Lake Valhalla (via the Smithbrook trailhead). I was hoping to find some fall colors there, as I have in the past, and perhaps even get lucky enough to juxtapose fall leaves against fresh snow in some compositions. Alas, the fall colors were almost entirely gone, and quite a bit of snow had fallen in the area. Still, I had fun contrasting the snow with the greens of the trees, and with the deep color of the not-yet-frozen lake.

First, a view of Lake Valhalla itself. F/14.


Next, two views from earlier in the hike. The yellowish green of the foreground trees isn't as vibrant here as it was in person - I wanted to contrast that with the bluish colors of the distant trees and mountains - but I think these images still work. Seeing them in print might be worthwhile, as that would give me more information to work with as I continue to fine-tune the colors. F/14 in both cases.



Finally, a view of some snow-covered young trees in an open area; this composition is more evocative of December than October, but I like it. F/16.


That's all for now! I'm hoping I'll get at least one more chance to find some fall colors before winter comes in earnest.

No comments: