Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Baker River Fall, Again

The only thing better than visiting the Baker River trail once in a season is visiting it twice in a season, I say. I hiked the trail on Monday, and enjoyed excellent conditions for hiking and photography: light winds, shade from the valley walls to create times and places of gentle lighting, and clear skies for mountain viewing. While the image I was most excited about - a view from the end of the trail with Mount Shuksan in the background - didn't turn out well, I was able to find some other interesting perspectives of the forests and river.

First, a forest view, with mossy trunks and branches prominent. In the late fall and winter, I tend to shy away from compositions involving the forest floor or understory; bare shrubs and branches can make compositions too busy (unless there's a mitigating factor like fog or snow). In this case, though, I think the fallen leaves form a color zone distinct enough to make the composition work. F/18.


Next, a shot of some colorful leaves with part of the Baker River itself behind them. This is similar in concept to some compositions from a trip I made to the area last November, but the shaded conditions this time created a different mood. F/16.


Finally, some red alder trunks with other leaves of various kinds and colors in the background. This composition is a bit busy, but I like the color scheme. F/14.


No comments: