Monday, November 25, 2019

Little Mashel Falls

The Little Mashel Falls hike near Eatonville has been on my radar for some time, and I got the chance to check it out on Saturday. Most of the hike is not particularly scenic, passing through some rather young second-growth forest, but the journey is quick and easy enough. The falls themselves, however, are impressive and were worth the visit. I'd be interested to return here in late spring, when there are leaves on the trees, although by that time of year I often feel drawn to wilder settings deeper into the Cascades.

Three waterfalls are accessible from the hike. The Middle Falls is the most impressive, and my favorite image of the day came from this spot. I like the contrast between the white of the falls and the green on the rocks. Moreover, I think the decision to occupy most of the frame with the waterfall, and exclude its top and surroundings, creates senses of size and closeness. F/14, 0.4 seconds.


Next, two views of the Lower Falls, set against mossy trees and branches. I am not sure which I prefer - the branches are interesting in the horizontal composition, but I like that the vertical composition includes the plants and rocks above the falls. Both F/14, 0.6 and 0.5 seconds, respectively.



No comments: