Thursday, August 13, 2020

Palisades Lakes

Earlier this week, I hiked the Palisades Lakes trail for the second time. It's a tricky hike - the ups and downs make for some steep climbs on the return trip, so the journey is more taxing than hikes with similar elevation gain and mileage where the grade is more consistent. Uphill misery is never too long-lived, though, and the scenic meadows and solitude are worth it. Because there are few views of Mount Rainier itself, this trail sees less traffic than others in the area despite the easy road access.

I first hiked trail about a year ago, but wasn't exactly thrilled by my results. This time, I think I did better. The clear weather made for more challenging lighting, but the wildflower displays were closer to peak, and I was able to anticipate where I'd want to spend the most time on photography.

First, Clover Lake, ringed by meadows of lupine and other wildflowers. Although not as dramatic as Upper Palisades Lake, Clover Lake is a peaceful and enchanting spot. F/14.

Also from Clover Lake, a closer view of elephant's head (Pedicularis groenlandica) growing near the lake shore. F/5.6.

Next, the highlight of the hike: the unbelievable lupine meadows just before Upper Palisades Lake. I don't think I've ever seen lupine meadows this thick or extensive. The first of this pair has better image quality. The second is more dramatic and has a compelling sense of depth, but I had to compromise a bit on the sharpness of the peaks and trees in the distance, so it might not look great at large print sizes. Both F/16.

Below is Upper Palisades Lake with lupine and other wildflowers in the foreground. F/14.

Finally, from the trailhead, a view over the White River valley in the morning light. F/14.


No comments: