Thursday, August 20, 2020

Railroad Grade, and more

On Tuesday, I set out to do the Railroad Grade hike, which shares a trailhead with the Park Butte hike. These hikes are both well-known for their views of Mount Baker, and I was hoping to catch some late-season wildflower displays as well. When I reached the start of Railroad Grade proper, however, I decided to turn around. The trail from that point is quite narrow with a very steep drop-off, and I tend to be nervous about balance, especially when wearing a tripod. I probably would have made it without incident, but I tend to be overcautious. At any rate, I used the extra time to wander farther in the direction of Park Butte, and found some nice scenery and wildflowers to photograph.

First, a view of Mount Baker from the Park Butte trail. For a midday exposure of a sunlit mountain, this result isn't bad. Before using this in any printed form, I'll likely spend some more time perfecting the lighting and sky color. F/16.

Next, a view of Twin Sisters from near Cathedral Camp. The lighting is a bit harsh, but everything is technically in range, so there's a decent chance of this one eventually looking good in print. F/14.

Below, the view from Railroad Grade itself. I like the effect the haze has on the hills, although it would have been nice to get more detail in the very distant peaks. F/14.

Next, afternoon light from the Park Butte trail near Rocky Creek. F/16.

Finally, a dry channel (or former channel) of Rocky Creek, with monkey-flower and other flowers blooming. Due to light breezes, I didn't get all of the leaves or flowers as sharp as I would have liked, but this result is decent. F/16.


No comments: