Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Heliotrope Ridge, Gold Creek

Heliotrope Ridge

On Sunday, I hiked the Heliotrope Ridge trail, hoping to catch the tail end of wildflower season. I did indeed find some wildflowers, and a quite dramatic view of Mount Baker's glacier-clad slopes as well. Because of the relative ease of this hike and the good scenic payoff, the greatest challenge of the day was not the abundant sunshine, but my fellow humans. Due to the high number of hikers on the trail, I was hard-pressed to find compositions that didn't include people. Even after returning and looking through my pictures, there were a few that I wasn't able to use due to people in the frame that I hadn't noticed in person. Below are my best results without accidental human intrusion.

First, Heliotrope Creek, along with a few late-season wildflowers. F/14, 1/6 second.


Next, a close view of dwarf fireweed (Chamaenerion latifolium) with a background of lupine. F/9.

Below, a view from the end of the trail, looking up at Mount Baker and the Coleman Glacier. F/14.

Gold Creek

A week earlier, I visited a favorite hike of mine, the Gold Creek trail near Snoqualmie Pass. Due to a combination of winds, brightness, and some poor aperture and focus decisions on my part, most of my compositions turned out badly. Here is the only one I liked at all, a forest shot with devil's club in the foreground. F/6.3.


No comments: