Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Sunshine at Otter Falls

About two years ago, I hiked to Otter Falls on a sunny winter day, and I revisited it under similar conditions this weekend. I enjoy it as a winter hike, due to the trail's relative ease, the uniqueness of Otter Falls, and the mountain views through the trees. I don't see myself revisiting the hike in the spring or summer - by then, more interesting locations are accessible (a lot of the hike is through somewhat uniform second-growth forest), and the mountain views would be fewer due to leaves on the alder trees. But this time of year, a repeat visit is definitely worthwhile.

First, Otter Falls itself. I'd have to see this one in print to know whether it really works - the image quality isn't fantastic, due to the wide angle of view and the high contrast. It might work at an 8x10 size, at least, and I do like the look of the icy surface of Lipsy Lake.  F/16.

In the afternoon, sunshine was hitting the lower reaches of the Taylor River valley, making for lovely views of the mountains through the bare red alder trees. Here's my favorite such view. F/16.

Below, a similar view. I like the snowier and more jagged mountain in the background, but a few of the highlights got slightly overexposed. F/14.


In addition to Otter Falls and the mountain views, another highlight of the trail is the bridge over Marten Creek a few miles in. Despite the day's sunshine, the bridge and surrounding creek were shaded by the surrounding hills when I arrived, making it easier to photograph the water. Here's a look at the creek from the bridge. F/14, 2.5 seconds.

Next, a wider view from the same bridge. F/14, 3 seconds.

Finally, a similar view over the Taylor River itself. Although most of the trail stays away from the river, the first mile or so has some nice views like this. F/14, 3 seconds.



No comments: