Thursday, January 14, 2021

Three Recent Trips

Hello, all, and happy new year! I'm a bit behind on blogging, but I've had a few fun opportunities over recent weeks to get outside and take pictures!

Kukutali and Snee Oosh

Just after Christmas, my girlfriend and I went on a getaway trip to a cabin near La Conner. As you'll see, we lucked out with some great weather! First, two landscape images from the Kukutali Preserve, which the Swinomish Indian Tribal Community and Washington State Parks manage jointly. It's a peaceful place with gorgeous views over the water, and nice forest that includes a few old Douglas firs. Both F/18.


Below, a Pacific madrone or madrona (Arbutus menziesii) in the preserve. F/14.

Finally, a sunrise image from Snee Oosh Beach, near to where we were staying. I like how the pink clouds are reflected. F/16, 0.6 seconds. I tried some shots similar to this one with only water in the foreground; while my mind's eye liked that idea better, the result lacked depth and wasn't very compelling.


Skookum Flats

More recently, I revisited the Skookum Flats trail off Highway 410 on a slushy, muddy, drippy morning. The photography day didn't last long, due to the rain and the related challenge of keeping water off the lens. First, an image highlighting the area's old growth (in this case, a Douglas fir). F/16.

 
Below, vertical and horizontal compositions from the same vantage point, with a bit of a view across the valley. I wanted to contrast the green foreground tree with the snowy background layers. I'm not sure which of these I prefer. The vertical version includes a bit of the contour of a distant hillside; in the horizontal version, the image quality is better, and the trees are all lined up a bit more logically. Both F/18.



Ebey's Landing

Most recently, I hiked the Ebey's Landing trail on Whidbey Island. I hadn't been there in years, and I enjoyed it as a winter destination. The views from the bluff are great, and the area's location in the Olympic rain shadow means mud and rain are less of a problem than elsewhere in western Washington.

First, a shot from near the trailhead. The winds were surprisingly calm at that time; ordinarily, I wouldn't even attempt a shot like this, as getting the grass sharp would be too difficult. I wish more of the Olympics were visible, but I like this one. F/16.

Next, a view over Perego's Lagoon from the bluff. I liked the contrasting colors of the blue water and sky, green grass, and red Oregon grape. F/16.

In the afternoon, the winds kicked up, creating some waves on the beach that were fun to watch (and dodge). Here's an image of one such wave, with the Olympics in the background. The image quality isn't fantastic, in part because I underexposed a bit to get as low of a shutter speed as possible. F/16, 1/125 of a second.

That brings us up to date. Whew! Until next time, here's wishing all of my readers health and safety!

No comments: