Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Goose Rock time!

On Saturday, I hiked to Goose Rock in Deception Pass - almost exactly two years after my visit in March of 2019. There are a lot of early-blooming flowers in the area, in both the forests and the meadows, making it worth coming to regularly. I'd like to visit later in the spring, though - there will be different flowers in the meadows, and I think I spotted some Pacific rhododendron in the woods!

My favorite image of the day shows red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum) growing along the trail to Goose Rock. It was bright enough in the forest that I was able to use a shutter speed of 1/40 of a second, which was enough to get the center flowers sharp during a lull in the breeze (I did have to boost the ISO to 400). F/6.3.

 

Low clouds meant that the views from the summit of Goose Rock weren't quite as jaw-dropping as they would have been on a clear day, when you can see distant mountains. They were still impressive, though. Here's my best shot of those views. I like the way the gnarled trees look in this one, and the madrone adds some needed color. F/14.


Next, a closeup of death-camas (Toxicoscordion venenosum). F/5.6.

 

Below, small-flowered blue-eyed Mary (Collinsia parviflora). I wanted to depict the massed blooms fading gradually out of focus in the frame. I'm not sure if I've done that very well here; I think they might fade out of focus too quickly. F/5.6.


Finally, a new wildflower for me. I think this is Micranthes integrifolia, or whole-leaf saxifrage. I'm not fond of the lines visible in the background, so it'd be fun to try again. But, hey - a new flower! F/5.6.



No comments: