Monday, September 13, 2021

Low Water and Fall Colors

On Saturday, I hiked to Goat Lake, one of my favorite places. Because the trail tends to be snow-free fairly early in the year, I'm typically here in June. But Goat Lake is also a worthy fall destination. While the fall colors aren't incredible throughout, they're very nice at the lake itself and on open slopes. Another advantage to visiting at this time of year is that, with lower water levels, there's quite a bit more beach around the lake to explore.

Skies were generally overcast. While I prefer the evenness of overcast lighting for forested settings, it's a double-edged sword in a place like Goat Lake. On the one hand, the evenness of the lighting is still helpful, reducing contrast and accentuating colors. On the other, it is difficult or impossible to expose for both the bright-cloudy sky and foreground elements. As such, I wasn't able to include as much of the mountains in my composition as I can on a clear day, and had to get a bit creative with my compositions. 

First, a direct view of the lake in all of its glory, with fall colors becoming visible. The lake shore/horizon is closer to the midpoint than I'd prefer, although the reflections add some symmetry and help with this problem. This vantage point was probably underwater earlier in the summer, so it was fun to stand there. F/18.

Second, the lake through branches. In this case, I benefitted from the day's very light winds. F/14.

Next, a view of the lake with a a more prominent foreground. It's busier than I had envisioned, but I still like this one. F/16.

Finally, a small falls on Elliott Creek near the lake. F/16, 1.3 seconds.


No comments: