Sunday, January 23, 2022

Local Fun

Last weekend, I hiked through Cedar Creek Park (I've sometimes seen it called "Cedar Downs") near Maple Valley, which features a system of interlocking trails through the woods. As I discussed in my latest year-in-review post, I'm trying to visit nearby locations like this a bit more frequently. Cedar Creek Park isn't an incredibly photogenic place; the forest is second-growth and there aren't any superlative geographic features (a river or waterfall, a view, cliffs, etc.). Even so, there are lots of pretty groves of mossy trees, and some reasonably impressive cedars and bigleaf maples - apparently, the forest here hasn't been logged since the 1930s, which makes it older than most of the forests in the surrounding area. Adding to the fun was the fact that I had the trails almost entirely to myself, and on a holiday weekend to boot.

Another photographic goal I set for this year was to make more use of my macro lens for non-floral subjects, particularly in the winter. Here is one such attempt. I think a sense of depth comes through clearly here, and I also like the vibrance of the greens. F/5.

Next, a landscape view of the same location. I like the color contrast between the mossy tree trunks and the bare shrubs (mostly salmonberry, I think). F/18.

Lastly, one of the park's many lovely cedar trees; I liked the way this one was framed by the mossy branches. With an exposure time of four seconds due to forest's darkness, it took some patience to get a shot where the branches were still and sharp. F/16.


No comments: