Monday, February 21, 2022

Kanaskat-Palmer State Park

On Saturday, I took advantage of some meteorological quiet before this weekend's wind and mixed precipitation, and visited Kanaskat-Palmer State Park. The park's trails amount to a pretty short hike, but there are some very nice river viewpoints and beaches to make up for that. I've been here a few times, and I don't think I've seen the river as vividly colored as it was this weekend. I don't know enough about the Green River to know why it has this color, or why it would be more pronounced right now, but it was fun to observe.

First, a view of the Green River, mostly through alder trees and salmonberry bushes. The foreground branch at the right, and the most clearly visible portion of the river at the left, help anchor the composition and keep it from getting too busy. F/18, 4 seconds.

Here's a shot from the same location, but closer to the foreground branch and with a narrow depth of field. F/5.6, 0.4 seconds.

Next, the Green River living up to its name at a more placid location. F/16, 3 seconds.

Lastly, a view directly from a river beach. I tried a very similar shot on my last visit (third photograph in the post). While that one had a better sense of depth, I much prefer the colors in this more recent attempt. This is only a preliminary processing job - the lighting needs more work, particularly in the upper half of the image, which is a bit dark. F/16, 4 seconds.


No comments: