Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Starting Spring Properly

Over the weekend, I hiked to Goose Rock in Deception Pass State Park, a reliable place to see wildflowers throughout the spring. The summit was windy and cold, but conditions were good otherwise, and I had some success with wildflower closeups in more sheltered places. I tried my hand at a couple landscapes as well, but they ended up rather pale and uninteresting. I've had this problem at Deception Pass before when taking landscape shots of the coastal environment. Why? It's not like Deception Pass is a pale or colorless place; far from it. I think it's because I tend to visit Deception Pass on cloudy spring days. While overcast conditions are ideal for wildflower photography, they make for a washed-out and uninteresting sky - ditto for the reflections from the water. Perhaps it'd be worth making a separate visit to the area, closer to sunrise or sunset on a blue-sky day, for landscape photography.

Anyway, here is my favorite: red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum), with leaves and lichen in the background. F/5.6.

Next, small-flowered blue-eyed Mary (Collinsia parviflora), with moss and grass visible in the background. F/5.6. I tried this at a wider aperture for a narrower depth of field, but the grass shapes weren't clear enough, and I wasn't happy with the focus point.



No comments: