Monday, March 14, 2022

Sunshine at Skookum Flats

On Saturday, I hiked the Skookum Flats trail, an off-season favorite near Enumclaw that I've hiked several times now. It has old trees and river views, and it never feels crowded. It parallels the highway, which is on the opposite side of the White River, but the river's sound usually drowns out traffic noise. Skookum Flats was actually my Plan C for the day. The first hike I tried, Greenwater Lakes, had an access road that was too snowy and icy for my skill level. The second, Snoquera Falls, had a parking lot so crowded that there was absolutely nowhere to park. I didn't want to wait around for a spot to open, or risk parking somewhere I shouldn't, so I headed to Skookum Flats. Since this trail is through forest, and I was getting a late start (for me) on a sunny day, I wasn't thrilled about my photography prospects. As it turned out, I found a surprisingly good number of subjects to photograph.

First, my favorite image of the day: Skookum Falls from the trail, with a mossy tree in the foreground. The sunlit highlights did end up a bit bright, but since the waterfall itself was shaded, I was able to expose for it correctly. Because the waterfall is the main visual point of interest, the image still works overall, I think. F/18, 1.3 seconds.

Next, the White River from beyond the falls. F/18, 1/8 of a second. I would have liked a longer shutter speed for more motion blur in the water, but that was the best I could manage in the bright sunshine.

Here's a horizontal version of the above composition. I like the vertical better, but thought I would include both for comparison. F/18, 1/8 of a second.

Next, a view of the White River from nearer the trailhead, up on a bluff. The reddish-orange plant at lower right is Oregon grape, and I like the pop of color it creates. F/18.

I also tried my hand at a couple closeups. First, some lichen, with a mossy tree in the background. I tried and tried to figure out a way to make the composition adhere more faithfully to the rule of thirds, but this was the best I could manage. F/5.6.

Finally, red alder catkins, with the White River in the background. I like how well the river and gravel bank come through, without making the image too busy. Even more distant is some remaining snow, which I thought would add some additional seasonal context, but it's not really discernible at this depth of field. F/7.1.

It's fitting that I ended with a picture of catkins; spring, my favorite season, is just around the corner! Stay tuned!

No comments: