Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Spring Break Part 2: Prairie Creek

While in California, I also visited Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, again on two separate days. I hiked the Prairie Creek Trail, portions of the Rhododendron Trail, and the Brown Creek trail. I chose routes that were on the shorter side (ca. 5-6 miles each day) so I would have plenty of time for photography stops. I had thought about hiking to the famous Fern Canyon and the Gold Bluffs Beach area via the James Irvine Trail, but ultimately decided against it due to the length of the hike, as I didn't want to rush my photography. (And, as you'll see in the next post, I was able to visit a nice coastal area on another occasion).

One of my favorite spots in the park was the Carl Schenck Memorial Grove, accessible via the Brown Creek Trail. The massive trees, open fern-covered glades, and creek make for a very picturesque environment. First, a view of some richly textured redwood trunks. F/16.

Here's another image from that spot, with Brown Creek itself just visible at lower right. F/16.

The Prairie Creek Trail was also captivating. The trail is frequently on the border of two distinct environments - imposing hillside redwood groves on one side, and dense streamside forests of maple and alder on the other. This combination, along with an understory that was generally denser than what I had seen at Jedediah Smith, added up to scenery that was more similar to creekside and riverside trails that I've hiked in Washington.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about: in the background is an old redwood, but it's framed by maple leaves (left) and blooming salmonberry (right). F/16.

Next, a series of images from lush redwood groves along the Prairie Creek Trail. I think the first is my favorite, due to the vividly colored ferns in the foreground, but I do like how the second one sets the redwood at right against the alders at left. It's very representative of the area. F/18, F/16, and F/18, respectively.



Lastly, a view of Prairie Creek itself, surrounded by spring foliage. The foreground leaves aren't as distinct as I'd like, so I don't think this image is all that exciting. F/14.

Thanks for reading another long post! Next up: a morning of wildflowers, sea stacks, and big waves along the California coast!

No comments: