Monday, May 23, 2022

Spring Break Part 3: Hidden Beach

One morning during my California trip, I did something a little different and, instead of heading to the redwood trails, hiked along the Coastal Trail to Hidden Beach. Clear skies were in the forecast, so I thought that coastal views were more promising than dealing with high contrast in dense forest. Hidden Beach is a great spot. It's in a sheltered cove, and a good distance from roads or any visible development. So while I was there, all I could see and hear were beach, rocks, sea stacks, green hillsides, and the ocean.

I didn't end up hiking a long distance - it's maybe a mile and a half to Hidden Beach, which was as far as I got. I spent at least a couple hours Hidden Beach; this, and not worrying about saving time for farther destinations, allowed me to notice scenes that I otherwise would have missed, and to experiment with the changing light on different sides of the beach.

First, some lupine blooming on Hidden Beach. I didn't notice these flowers until I had been there for a while, so this is a good example of why I'm glad I didn't rush myself. F/16.

Next, a view down to Hidden Beach from the Coastal Trail. F/14.

Here's one from right on the beach, with Hidden Beach's distinctive sea stack in the background. It was an interesting task finding a vantage point with the waves close enough to be a compelling foreground, but not so close that they would engulf my boots and tripod. Some trial, error, and running was involved. F/14, 1/40 of a second.

Finally, also from the beach, a view the other direction. It took a few attempts to time this one just right, with a wave splashing over the rock at center right, but I'm glad I was patient. It's a nice touch. F/14, 1/60 of a second.

That wraps up my California pictures. Stay tuned for a return to your regularly scheduled Washington programming!


No comments: