Thursday, September 22, 2022

First Hints of Autumn

Last weekend, I visited the Perry Creek trail, which is one of my favorite hikes in general but especially in the fall. The autumn foliage wasn't as far along as I had hoped, but I was able to find a few hints of fall color, as well as other hallmarks of the season such as flowering plants gone to seed.

First, the most interesting image of the bunch - some fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium) gone to seed. This is similar to an image I took along the same trail in the fall of 2020 (last image in this post). I don't know that this year's composition is a huge improvement, but I do like the look of the foreground plant better, and I managed to get better detail quality and a more accurate focus point. F/6.3.

Next, two shots looking across the Perry Creek valley, featuring the first hints of fall color. I like the way the first one frames the distant cliff. In the second, I like the perspective, but I think the colors and lighting levels are all too similar to one another, and it ends up not being as compelling as I had imagined it. F/14 and F/16, respectively.


Next, what I think is ocean spray (Holodiscus discolor). I'm not sure whether we're looking at the seeds or the spent flowers. F/5.6.

Finally, some lovely old forest early in the hike, just before the trail breaks out onto the open rocky slopes. F/14.

That's all for now! Even though late spring and early summer scenery is my favorite, I really do look forward to fall hiking. There's usually not too much mud, temperatures aren't too hot, the bugs are gone, and the progression of fall color is fun to follow. Lord willing, I'll get to chase some fall colors soon, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Patrick Duffey said...

Great photos James. Patrick Duffey