Thursday, September 08, 2022

The Second Last Hurrah of Wildflower Season

It appears I spoke too soon in my last post - I was able to find some more wildflowers! On Saturday, I hiked the Gold Creek trail near Snoqualmie Pass. Even on a nice day during a holiday weekend, the trail was quiet and peaceful, as always. Most of the flowers were long gone for the season, but there were a few lovely displays of fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium) remaining.

First, one such stand of fireweed, looking up the Gold Creek valley. F/18.

Next, a different view from about the same location, looking up the side of the valley. F/16.

Here's a closer view of a remaining fireweed flower. F/7.1.

In this next one, I managed to juxtapose some fireweed blooms against the emerging autumn colors of vine maple. F/6.3.

Finally, a view of a lush valley wall through forest. There are many such scenes along the trail, but they can be hard to photograph due to the high contrast between the dark woods and the bright open areas. I think I managed to make this one work. F/16.


No comments: