Sunday, July 23, 2023

Goat Lake

Yesterday, having seen the news that the last section of the Mountain Loop Highway had finally opened for the summer, I couldn't resist a trip to Goat Lake, one of my all-time favorite hikes that I've ever done. At about ten miles round-trip, it's definitely longer than my usual photography hikes. As such, the challenge of the Goat Lake hike is time management. Every time I go, I have to pass by some photography opportunities on the hike up in order to reserve ample time for photography and relaxation at the lake itself, which is why this post will be on the shorter side.

First, the lake itself. The early-season flowers that I have used as foregrounds in years past have faded, so I decided instead to try some more direct lake shots. Even though I'm typically drawn to horizontal compositions, the vertical one below is my favorite from the day. The snowier mountain on the left is a natural focal point when looking at the lake, but I also wanted to draw attention to the nearer, more forested peak on the right. I like how the very distinct rocks in the lower third of the image gradually fade into blurred reflections. F/16.


Next, a horizontal view from the same vantage point, with more attention to the snowy peak. F/16.

Due to breezes, harsh lighting, and the length of the hike, I didn't spend much time on photography in the forested parts of the trail (which is most of it). However, I did get this fun shot of red elderberries with red alder trunks in the background. F/9.


No comments: