Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring in the Forest

Yesterday I went to Carkeek Park - and, at midmorning, practically had the whole place to myself, except for a little gaggle of preschoolers, a few dog-walkers, and a couple of friendly beer-toting hikers.

The shrubs are starting to leaf out, which always makes me happy. I wonder if it's maybe easier to get compelling forest pictures now, in early spring, than during the summer, which is when I usually think to take pictures in the forest. The problem with forests, especially here in the Pacific Northwest, is that they're so thick and busy that it's hard to isolate a compelling subject. When I go through my best pictures, very few of them were taken inside forests. This spring will hopefully afford a chance to experiment with this idea.

I always forget how much Carkeek has to offer. It'll be even better a bit later in the spring, when the trees in the orchard in the east end of the park start to bloom, and when some of the actual trees start to flower and leaf out. Anyway, pictures. Oddly, most of the good ones from yesterday were vertical. Hmm.






Hopefully, this will be the first installment of many over the next week or so. It's finally Spring Break...and the weather's supposed to get nice around here!!

No comments: