Thursday, March 31, 2011

A visit to my first love...

A few days ago I visited Boeing Creek Park/Shoreview Park. I've never been sure which term applies to which part of the park; I think "Boeing Creek Park" refers to the wooded areas and "Shoreview Park" to the playground and assorted sports fields.

This park is special because it was probably the first park I ever explored on my own. When I was roughly middle-school-aged, we lived within walking distance, and I was allowed to roam the park on my own. It was there that I first started experimenting with nature photography, so I really owe my art to this park.

We're getting into my favorite part of the year: April through early or mid-July. I love the explosion of spring growth in April, and the wildflowers and lush forests of May and June.

I am not sure what this weed is called yet (I can't find it in my little book), but it grows everywhere, including in Boeing Creek Park. I just find them interesting; their flowers are smallish, compared to their body, and they're overall kind of odd looking:



Anyway, the park doesn't only consist of weeds of course, But the forest there, which doesn't contain quite as many early-leafing shrubs as some other parks, hasn't come into its own quite yet; nor have other kinds of weeds and wildflowers that occasionally occur.

Also, I am kind of confused by the salmonberry flowers: It seems that here or elsewhere, they bloom facing downward or north-ish, i.e. away from the sun. This seems unusual for flowers. I wonder if this is a common behavior for salmonberry flowers, and why?

Facing northeast-ish and down.

No comments: