Saturday, May 14, 2011

Discovery Discoveries

This is a long one, but hang in there!!

The other day - last Thursday? - I went to Discovery Park, and it was an historic trip: It marked the first sunset I've photographed so far in 2011! School business and plenty of clouds and rain had conspired to keep me from doing so until now. There were some clouds in the west when I got to the park, raising the possibility of yet another "sunset dud," but I persisted until sunset and, as you can see, the clouds lifted at just the right moment:


I also played around with taking some relatively close-up pictures of grass. These next two, I think, are some of my best grass pictures to date, despite the fact that I didn't really get them the way I wanted them. I had been hoping to get the whole grass "head" in focus, but I just couldn't get the depth of field wide enough while still being able to handhold (the grass was too low to the ground to use a tripod). Still, I got part of it in focus, and I think it looks alright:



I also took some interesting shots of the historic chapel there at the park, because there was a fully blooming tree right next to it, which I think "interacted" with it quite nicely:



Last but not least, I discovered some secret forest trails! They're not on the map, as is the case with many minor trails at Discovery. These ones wind around through the forest just north of the viewpoint in the South Meadow area. You have to duck under branches sometimes, but it's worth it. The woods are pretty on their own, and there's one little meadow that looks like it might have lupine growing in it. If so, it'll be fantastic this summer!

No comments: