Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Blooming Fireweed!

I've been waiting for this since last year - blooming fireweed! I don't quite know why I'm so obsessed with these flowers, but I can't help it. They're gorgeous and come in a very interesting spire arrangement. They also have a rich purple color, and light up in the sun very beautifully.

They're called "fireweed" not because they look fiery (even though they do), but because they're often the first species to colonize an area that has burned (or been logged or disturbed in some other way). The internet says that they can even colonize after some oil spills. They are important in recolonizing soils and setting the stage for later stages of plant succession. Fireweed likes other open areas like meadows as well. According to my book, the Native Americans used parts of it for food. I can personally attest to the good taste of fireweed honey.

The fireweed stand at Magnuson is starting to bloom. It's not very well situated for photography - you have to crawl through the grass a bit to get to it. I couldn't get as close as I'd wanted because I didn't want to trample on the whole ecosystem (I got as close as I did by following already-trodden paths through the grass). Here's a budding stalk, followed by a blooming stalk:



The fireweed at Discovery are a bit further along in their blooming; I managed to photograph there just as the first light of day began to shine on it. I'll post the good ones without further comment:





Here's a wider view of a fireweed stand:



Until next time. Thanks for reading!

No comments: